Saturday, December 18, 2010

Comfort Food

 

 

It is not yet Winter, but Fall does not know that. It has snowed, iced, the wind has blown, it has been below freezing more often than not!  So, we need some warmth,some comfort. What has more comfort that soup? Creamy, warm, filling goodness. 

As a child, anytime I was sick Mom would fix me Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup with toast . I did not like the chunks of chicken in it and she would take them out. :) It always made me feel better.  I still love Cream of Chicken soup but, I don’t like it from the can, I like a bit more in it now, even chunks of chicken!

This is my version of the soup:

 

Lanita’s Cream Of Chicken Soup

 

This is for a smaller Crockpot.

 

2 chicken thighs

2 cans chicken broth

2 large carrots, chopped

1 small onion chopped

1 stalk of celery,chopped (with some of the leaves)

1 clove garlic, chopped

2 potatoes peeled and chopped

salt and pepper

1 cup cream

2 Tblsp cornstarch

You can add any vegetable you would like, but I like it kind of plain, not a lot of stuff.

 

Cook on high for 6 hours(if your chicken is frozen) or until chicken is tender.

Take chicken out of Crockpot and let cool.  Take a potato masher and slightly mash the potatoes to give creamier texture. I had about a cup and a half of leftover white gravy from last nights fried chicken, I added that to make “cream” part of chicken. If you don’t have any white gravy hanging around, use 1 cup heavy cream, stir in cornstarch into cream to make slurry and pour into soup. Cover and let it cook on high for 30 more minutes. While that cooks debone chicken and tear into small bite sized pieces and add back into soup. Check for seasoning and thickness, if it is not thick enough you can use about 1/4 cup water and 1 Tblsp cornstarch add to soup to thicken,cook abit longer.

 cream-chicken-and-rice-soup-3-450

This is a satisfying, comforting wonderful bowl of soup. I served this with  Cheese biscuits,yum! good-biscuit-1

I have a confession, I can not make biscuits!! I have tried and I just can’t !  They always turn out like hockey pucks!!!They are not bad tasting ,just crunchy!  I think you should  cut some slack here, I make homemade bread, pastry, and all kinds of other stuff, I just can’t produce a fluffy biscuit!

So…… I came across the most wonderful thing, Southern  Biscuit mix Formula L! All you do is mix it with buttermilk. images (28)

You can’t mess these up! Just follow the recipe for cheese biscuits on the back of the bag.   You could add Jalapeños or onions, garlic. The possibilities are endless!

   The left over soup can be turned into chicken pot pie. Add abit more chicken and thickening, heat through and put in casserole dish and top with raw biscuits and bake till bubbly.

m_chickenPotPie 

If you don’t have enough soup leftover for a big casserole then aren’t these individual one cute?images (29)

Yummy!

Enjoy!  Until next time !

 

Nana Nita

No comments:

Post a Comment