Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Well I Finally Made Them!

 

I had been putting it off, I don’t know why. I researched and found a good recipe . I read all of the comments on it and took all of that into consideration, then procrastinated about making them. The task seemed daunting ,I don’t know why. But I finally made the English Muffins Steve had been craving.

They are good, they are tasty, they are time consuming. I’m glad I have had this experience.  I might make them again….or not.

 

 

English Muffins

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/4 cup melted shortening
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
  1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in 1/2 of the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast,baking soda and the other 1/2 sugar  in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
  3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.
  4. Blog Pics 080
  5. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna canBlog Pics 079 . Put some cornmeal on a plate and gently rub muffin on each side in cornmeal. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.Blog Pics 087
  6. Heat greased griddle.
  7. Blog Pics 089
  8. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat.
  9. Blog Pics 091
  10. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split with a  fork and toast. Don’t cut with a knife, it will mess up the nooks and crannies.
  11. Great with orange butter, or cream cheese and jam.
  12. Blog Pics 095
  13. They were really good toasted and buttered! Crispy and crunchy!
  14. Blog Pics 096

My notes on this recipe….

I grilled them on each side until I had them the desired color and then put them in a 350* oven for 8 minutes each side. I read several comment on this and most people said that this worked better than doing them on the griddle the whole time, so that you did not have to monitor them the whole time. They don’t have a lot of nooks and crannies, but they had some.  I don’t think I rolled the dough out quite thin enough,so they were a little thick, heavy. If I had rolled them out more I think they would have had a better texture.

 

Well until next time…. I’m thinking about Pita Bread…..

we’ll  see!

No comments:

Post a Comment